Loyola of Chicago holds off Western Michigan 60-58Nov 24, 2009 - 3:43 AM CHICAGO(AP) -- Terrence Hill scored 16 points and Walt Gibler added 14, including a go-ahead three-point play with 3:11 to play Monday night as Loyola of Chicago rallied to defeat Western Michigan, 60-58.
With the score 49-49, Gibler scored on a layup and was fouled, making the free throw to put the Ramblers (3-1) up by three. Andy Polka, who finished with 10 points and 10 rebounds, added a basket and a pair of free throws down the stretch, Hill made two foul shots and Courtney Stanley's layup in the final seconds gave Loyola a 60-56 lead.
The Ramblers overcame 33 percent shooting for the game with an 11-for-14 performance at the free-throw line.
Western Michigan (1-2) scored the game's first seven points and led 41-31 with 11:20 to go before Loyola came back. The Broncos' David Kool led all scorers with 22 points and Martelle McLemore had 15.
- NCAA BB
WESTRN MICHIGAN 58
LOYOLA CHI 60 FINAL
Nov 23 10:06 PM
- NCAA BB
WESTRN MICHIGAN 24
LOYOLA CHI 21 HALFTIME
Nov 23 8:54 PM
- Western Michigan defeats Rochester (Mich) 85-73 Nov 23
- Loyola-Chicago beats ULM for CBI title Apr 1
- Ramblers seek CBI crown in showdown with Warhawks Apr 1
- Loyola beats ULM in CBI opener Mar 30
- Warhawks and Ramblers clash in CBI championship series Mar 30
- Northern Iowa downs Loyola to reach MVC final Mar 7
- MVC semifinals pits Panthers against Ramblers Mar 7
- No. 11 UNI rolls past Loyola of Chicago Feb 18
- Ramblers welcome 11th-ranked Panthers to town Feb 18
- VanVleet powers Wichita State past Loyola-Chicago Jan 28
- Ramblers seek upset of 12th-ranked Shockers Jan 28
- Shockers pull away from Loyola-Chicago in 2nd half Jan 11