Cent. Arkansas 49, Memphis 81Nov 25, 2009 - 3:39 AM MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- Elliot Williams scored 20 points and Roburt Sallie added 17 as Memphis defeated Central Arkansas 81-49 on Tuesday night.
Overcoming a slow start in which they missed their first six shots, the Tigers recovered to build a 21-point halftime lead, and extended the advantage to 30 early in the second half.
Memphis (3-1) put the game out of reach by starting the second half hitting its first eight shots, including two 3-pointers and a driving layup from Williams.
Williams, a Duke transfer, connected on 4-of-8 3-pointers as the Tigers went 12-of-24 from beyond the arc. Williams also added a career-high eight assists and five rebounds.
Mitch Rueter had 17 points to lead Central Arkansas (1-4).
Despite its sluggish start, Memphis shot 54 percent, including 63 percent in the second half. The Tigers made 6-of-10 3-pointers in the second half.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
CENTRAL ARKANSAS 16 33 49
MEMPHIS 37 44 81 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: CENTRAL ARKANSAS - MITCH RUETER 17, MIKE POUNCY 12, CHRIS
MEMPHIS - ELLIOT WILLIAMS 20, ROBURT SALLIE 17,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 11
Nov 24 10:05 PM
- NCAA BB
CENTRAL ARK 16
MEMPHIS 36 HALFTIME
Nov 24 8:54 PM
- Tubby Smith adds 4 assistants to his Memphis coaching staff May 10
- Memphis hires Tubby Smith as Tigers' new basketball coach Apr 14
- Memphis reviewing possible AD, coach conflict of interest Mar 22
- Josh Pastner to stay at Memphis despite missing NCAAs again Mar 18
- American Athletic Conference suspends Memphis' Shaq Goodwin Jan 5
- Memphis athletic director Tom Bowen gets 2-year extension Oct 8
- Moore leads No. 21 SMU over Memphis Feb 27
- SMU and Memphis collide in AAC action Feb 26
- No. 3 Gonzaga routs Memphis Feb 1
- Memphis hits road to challenge No. 3 Gonzaga Jan 31
- No. 21 Nebraska takes care of Central Arkansas Nov 19
- No. 11 Wichita State beats Memphis Nov 18