Coppin State beats Maryland-Baltimore County 77-66Nov 25, 2009 - 4:00 AM BALTIMORE(AP) -- Vince Goldsberry scored 18 points to lead Coppin State to a 77-66 victory over Maryland-Baltimore County on Tuesday night.
Kareem Brown scored 17 points and Lenny Young added 15 as the Eagles are 4-1 for the first time since 1976-77.
Coppin State led by as many as 19 midway through the second half, but Maryland-Baltimore County cut the lead to 62-58 on Shawn Grant's 3-pointer with 1:53 remaining.
The Eagles, who have lost only at Colorado, outscored the Retrievers (0-4) 15-4 in the final 1:53 of the game, going 13-for-14 from the line.
Coppin State shot 87.5 percent from the free throw line (21-for-24).
Ceslovas Kucinskas scored 12 points and Sam Coleman added 10 points for Coppin State.
Chauncey Gilliam led the Retrievers with 20 points, Robbie Jackson added 17, Chris De La Rosa added 12 and Grant finished with 11 points. De La Rosa also had 11 assists.
- NCAA BB
COPPIN ST 77
UMBC 66 FINAL
Nov 24 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
COPPIN ST 36
UMBC 25 HALFTIME
Nov 24 8:18 PM
- Mitchell out at Coppin State after 28 years Mar 28
- Gonzaga cruises past Coppin State Dec 1
- No. 11 Gonzaga plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- Irvin helps Michigan cruise past Coppin State Nov 29
- Wolverines set sights on Eagles Nov 29
- No. 1 Indiana rolls over Coppin State Dec 2
- No. 1 Indiana plays host to Coppin State Dec 1
- UMBC's Monroe resigns Oct 10
- Hoosiers stay hot in rout of UMBC Dec 22
- High-flying Hoosiers entertain hapless Retrievers Dec 22
- No. 24 Illinois races past Coppin State Dec 11
- Coppin State seeks upset of No. 24 Illinois Dec 11