UNC-Greensboro defeats S.C.-Upstate 76-70Nov 25, 2009 - 3:40 AM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Brandon Evans scored 19 points and North-Carolina Greensboro defeated South Carolina-Upstate 76-70 on Tuesday night.
Evans' four-point play gave UNC-Greensboro (1-3) an 11-point lead with 5:02 left to play, but S.C.-Upstate (0-4) cut it to 70-65 on a basket by Nick Schneiders with 1:41 to go.
Both teams each hit a free throw before Ben Stywall went to the foul line for UNC-Greensboro. Stywall hit one shot, and then scored on a break-away dunk for an eight-point lead with 25 seconds left.
S.C.-Upstate, which shot 50 percent from 3-point range in the first half (4 of 8), was 0-for-9 in the second.
S.C.-Upstate led 32-25 with 5 minutes left in the first half, but UNC-Greensboro answered with a 15-2 run. Mikko Koivisto capped the run with a 3 for a 40-34 lead with just under 2 minutes left in the half.
Schneiders led S.C.-Upstate with 23 points.
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- No. 24 North Carolina drops UNC Greensboro Dec 16
- Tar Heels make short trip to tangle with Spartans Dec 16
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26
- Buckeyes handle Spartans, Sullinger solid in return Dec 15
- Buckeyes and Spartans square off in Columbus Dec 14
- Wofford defeats UNC-Greensboro 59-47 Mar 6
- UNC-Greensboro beats Furman 66-65 in SoCon tourney Mar 5
- UNC-Greenboro holds off Georgia Southern 81-79 Mar 1
- Smith's 19 leads Stetson past SC-Upstate 65-60 Feb 27