N.C.-Asheville 58, Georgia 79Nov 25, 2009 - 2:40 AM ATHENS, Ga. (AP) -- Ricky McPhee, a walk-on until this year, scored a career-high 20 points to lead Georgia to a 79-58 win over North Carolina-Asheville on Tuesday night.
McPhee hit 8 of 9 field goals, including 4 of 5 3-pointers. Travis Leslie added 17 points and Trey Thompkins scored 16 for Georgia (2-2). Albert Jackson came off the bench to score 10 for the Bulldogs.
John Williams scored 14 for UNC-Asheville (0-4) and Sean Smith added 12.
UNC-Asheville followed a season-long trend in falling behind fast as Georgia bolted to a 16-2 lead less than 4 minutes into the game.
McPhee had five of his 13 first-half points during the spurt.
Thompkins got seven of his 13 first-half points in the final 4:35 of the half.
The game was a homecoming of sorts for UNC-Asheville coach Eddie Biedenbach, who was an assistant under Hugh Durham at Georgia during the 1980s.
- Georgia's Juwan Parker granted medical redshirt May 23
- Georgia signs forward Diatta as transfer from Southern Idaho Apr 20
- McGarity believes Georgia program still growing with Fox Mar 30
- J.J. Frazier keeps believing, keeps shooting for Georgia Mar 4
- Georgia bracing for road trips to LSU and No. 17 Baylor Jan 25
- Georgia looking for turnaround following ugly loss to Aggies Jan 19
- Georgia defeats Robert Morris 79-67 Dec 29
- Georgia Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Georgia's Fox pushing for consistency after reaching NCAAs Oct 29
- Mann, Gaines looking to push Georgia to new heights Oct 23
- Michigan State holds off Georgia Mar 20
- Georgia and Michigan State meet in NCAA Tournament tussle Mar 20