BYU easily blows past Southern U. in 107-51 winNov 25, 2009 - 5:26 AM PROVO, Utah(AP) -- Jackson Emery scored 16 points and had five steals to lead Brigham Young to a 107-51 win over Southern University on Tuesday night.
BYU (4-0) pulled away early as Jackson and Jonathan Tavernari scored 13 and 11 points respectively to push the Cougars to a 57-22 halftime lead. Jackson's steals, all in the first half, contributed to 13 Jaguar turnovers.
Southern (0-4) led 6-5 early in the first, but the Cougars outscored the Jaguars 42-10 over the next 13 minutes to capture a 47-16 advantage and put the game out of reach.
Jimmer Fredette had a game-high 10 assists for the Cougars and scored 12 points. Tavernari and Chris Miles finished with 14 points each.
Brandon Davies' eight rebounds helped the Cougars to a 48-28 advantage on the boards.
Earnest Jones led the Jaguars with 15 points while Jazz Williams scored 14, 12 of which came in the first half.
- Unlikely qualifier Holy Cross plays Southern in First Four Mar 15
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- Texas Southern rallies late, wins SWAC title Mar 14