William & Mary edges Hampton 62-61Nov 26, 2009 - 2:15 AM WILLIAMSBURG, Va.(AP) -- Quinn McDowell scored 11 points, including two free throws down the stretch, and William & Mary defeated Hampton 62-61 on Wednesday night.
The Tribe (3-2) broke a 57-57 tie on a free throw by Danny Sumner with 3:40 left. Steven Hess then put William & Mary ahead 60-57 on a jump shot with 1:44 remaining.
The Pirates (0-4) pulled within one with 1:22 remaining on Charles Funches' jump shot.
With 47 seconds left, McDowell made both of his free throws as the Tribe went ahead 62-59.
On the Pirates' next possession, Mike Tuill hit two free throws with 44 seconds to pull within 62-61. But Hampton couldn't score on its next possession as Darrion Pellum missed a 3-pointer with 8 seconds to play.
David Schneider scored 16 points and Sumner added 15 as the Tribe won their third consecutive game.
Pellum led Hampton with 21 points, going 7 of 11.
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Hampton, Delaware State battle in MEAC championship Mar 14
- Northeastern dancing for first time since 1991 Mar 9
- Huskies and Tribe meet for CAA crown Mar 9
- Tokoto, No. 19 UNC drop William & Mary Dec 30
- No. 23 Syracuse takes down Hampton Nov 16