Stommes, E. Kentucky edge Texas-San Antonio 74-72Nov 26, 2009 - 1:29 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Justin Stommes hit a 3-pointer with 12 seconds left and scored 17 points to lead Eastern Kentucky to a 74-72 comeback victory over Texas-San Antonio on Wednesday night.
Stommes, who came in averaging 19.5 points per game, scored 14 points in the final 5:52 after not scoring in the first half.
He also had seven assists, including one on Joshua Jones' 3-pointer with 55 seconds left that put the Colonels (4-1) ahead 71-70. The Roadrunners (4-1) regained the lead, 72-71, on Terry Fields' layup at 0:40.
Papa Oppong added 14 points for Eastern Kentucky, which won three games in three days while hosting an O'Reilly Auto Parts CBE Classic subregional.
Omar Johnson and Devin Gibson scored 18 points apiece for Texas-San Antonio, which led 62-50 with 6:27 to play. Johnson was 6-for-10 from 3-point range but committed turnovers on consecutive possessions with less than 2:30 remaining.
- Oklahoma assistant Steve Henson hired as UTSA head coach Apr 1
- Texas-San Antonio fires basketball coach Brooks Thompson Mar 10
- Elmore scores 23 with 7 treys as Marshall beats UTSA 109-91 Feb 6
- Loyola of Chicago pulls away from UTSA in 76-64 win Nov 14
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9