Rohnert's 32 leads Denver past Wyoming 80-77Nov 26, 2009 - 5:16 AM DENVER(AP) -- Nate Rohnert scored a season-high 32 points as Denver came back from a 10-point halftime deficit to defeat Wyoming 80-77 on Wednesday night.
Andrew Hooper added 14 for Denver (3-1), winners of three straight. Brian Stafford had 11.
Afam Muojeke led Wyoming (2-2) with 20 points. Muojeke limped off with a leg injury with 6:43 left and never retuned.
Rohnert made 3 of 4 free throws to put Denver up 79-75 with 58 seconds left. Ryan Waddell converted two free throws for Wyoming which got the ball back with 11.8 seconds remaining after Rohnert made only one free throw. Ryan Dermody, though, missed a 3-pointer to tie with 2.4 seconds left.
The Cowboys have lost four straight to the Pioneers in Denver.
The game marked the 145th all-time meeting between the teams. The Cowboys lead the series 98-47, but they last won in Denver on Nov. 26, 2001.
Trailing by 10 at intermission, Denver got within 48-44 on Chase Hallam's layup with 15:24 left. The Cowboys couldn't get going in the second half, and Rohnert's 3-pointer pulled the Pioneers even at 52-52 with 11:23 to go.
The Cowboys went up 54-52 when Adam Waddell made his team's first field goal of the half with 13:23 remaining, but Denver got even again on a tip-in by Sabatino Chen.
Muojeke limped off with a leg injury after putting Wyoming up 61-58 with a free and a layup off his own missed free throw. Andrew Hooper and Rohnert hit 3-pointers to give Denver its first lead, 64-61 with 5:35 left, since early in the game.
Thomas Manzano's free throw kept Wyoming close, 69-66. Rohnert answered with a layup and free throw to make it 72-66. A.J. Davis scored the next nine points for the Cowboys to get them within 76-75 with 1:18 left.
Muojeke started slowly, but had 16 points as Wyoming built a 44-34 lead at the half. He didn't score until he sank two free throws nearly eight minutes into the game and his initial field goal came with 9:34 remaining, putting Wyoming ahead 24-16.
Denver stayed close by hitting 18-of-22 free throws, seven by Rohnert, but had 14 turnovers by the break.
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- University of Denver hires Rodney Billups as coach Mar 14
- Denver fires coach Joe Scott after 9 seasons Mar 11
- South Dakota State edges Denver in Summit tourney 54-53 Mar 8
- Rosga, Denver beat Omaha, advance to Summit League semis Mar 7
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Wyoming tops San Diego State for MWC title Mar 15
- Cowboys and Aztecs battle for MWC crown Mar 14
- Wyoming upsets Boise State in MWC semis Mar 14
- Cowboys hope to lasso Broncos in MWC semifinals Mar 13
- Wyoming outlasts Fresno State in triple OT Jan 18