Northern Arizona's defense lead way in 88-72 winNov 26, 2009 - 5:51 AM SANTA CLARA, Calif.(AP) -- DeAngelo Jones scored 28 points as Northern Arizona beat turnover-prone Santa Clara 88-72 on Wednesday night in the West Coast Classic.
Cameron Jones, Gabe Rogers and Eric Platt each added 14 points for the Lumberjacks (2-2). Northern Arizona shot 52.7 percent from the field and connected on 7 of 17 3-point attempts.
Kevin Foster led the Broncos (2-3) with 14 points. Robert Smith scored 13 while Marc Trasolini added 12 points and seven rebounds.
NAU's trapping defense contributed to 16 Broncos turnovers in the first half which the Lumberjacks converted into 12 points.
Santa Clara turned the ball over on three straight possessions at the end of the half, helping the Lumberjacks open up a 44-36 lead at the break. The Broncos entered the game averaging 15.5 turnovers and finished with 21.
- NCAA BB
NORTHRN ARIZONA 88
SANTA CLARA 72 FINAL
Nov 26 12:09 AM
- NCAA BB
NORTHRN ARIZONA 44
SANTA CLARA 36 HALFTIME
Nov 25 10:55 PM
- Santa Clara hopes Sendek can lift team to WCC elite Mar 30
- Santa Clara hires Herb Sendek as new head coach Mar 29
- Santa Clara fires basketball coach Kerry Keating Mar 7
- Northern Arizona returns 4 players from CIT runner-up team Nov 4
- Evansville claims CIT title over Northern Arizona Apr 2
- Northern Arizona and Evansville clash for CIT crown Apr 2
- Northern Arizona coach suspended for fracas in Big Sky tourney Mar 15
- Gonzaga pulls away in second half, tops Santa Clara Feb 6
- Broncos face tall task in clash with second-ranked Bulldogs Feb 5
- Gonzaga rolls over Santa Clara Jan 11
- Broncos battle Bulldogs in WCC fracas Jan 10
- Michigan State cruises past Santa Clara Nov 25