New Mexico State drubs North Carolina A&T 84-68Nov 27, 2009 - 4:24 AM LAS CRUCES, N.M.(AP) -- Senior guard Jonathan Gibson scored a career-high 31 points in New Mexico State's 84-68 victory over North Carolina A&T on Thursday night.
NMSU (2-3) led 40-24 at halftime and 52-32 early in the second half, leading from start to finish. A&T (3-4) closed to 59-54 with 8:45 left on a Tavarus Alston layup, but that was as close as A&T came.
New Mexico State outscored A&T 23-14 in the final eight minutes, shooting 16 of 19 from the free-throw line during the stretch and 28 of 32 for the game.
Robert Johnson led A&T with 15 points.
Jahmar Young scored 23 points for New Mexico State, and Hamidu Rahman had 12 points and a career-high 15 rebounds as NMSU outrebounded A&T 45-31.
NMSU scored the first nine points of the game as A&T missed its first 13 attempts from 3-point range. A&T was 9 of 39 from long range.
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Veteran North Carolina aims to end where it starts: at No. 1 Nov 2
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27
- No. 12 Ohio State routs NC A&T Dec 17
- Hapless Aggies challenge mighty Buckeyes Dec 17