Kitchen scores 16, Florida State beats Iona 54-49Nov 27, 2009 - 4:47 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- Derwin Kitchen scored 16 points, Chris Singleton added 13 and Florida State beat Iona 54-49 on Thursday night at the Old Spice Classic.
The score was tied 47-all with 2:40 left before Florida State took control with a 6-0 run. Solomon Alabi and Singleton both made a pair of free throws, then Kitchen hit a layup with 24 seconds remaining.
It was the 1,000 victory for the Seminoles (4-1).
Iona (3-1) got 12 points from Jermel Jenkins, and Alejo Rodriguez had 10.
Florida State went up 45-39 with 6 minutes left. Iona, keyed by Jenkins' 3-pointer, scored eight of the next 10 points to tie it.
Kitchen had five points, including a 3-pointer, as Florida State opened the second half with a 10-0 run to take a 35-24 advantage.
The Seminoles trailed much of the first half but took a 25-24 halftime lead on Deividas Dulky's 3-pointer.
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA ST 54
IONA 49 FINAL
Nov 26 11:24 PM
- NCAA BB
FLORIDA ST 25
IONA 24 HALFTIME
Nov 26 10:01 PM
- Florida State guard Rathan-Mayes returning for junior season May 2
- Junior college guard Angola-Rodas to attend Florida State Apr 20
- Mutombo's nephew signs to play basketball at Florida State Apr 13
- Florida State's Rathan-Mayes to enter NBA draft Apr 5
- Florida State's Bacon withdraws from NBA draft consideration Mar 28
- Florida State's Beasley focuses on training for NBA draft Mar 24
- Florida State's Bacon to submit name for NBA draft Mar 23
- Florida State hope lessons learned will pay off next season Mar 18
- Morris and Iowa State race past Iona 94-81 Mar 17
- Iona spoiled Monmouth bench mob party Mar 16
- FSU's Beacon and Beasley focused on NIT, not NBA Mar 14
- Florida State senior Devon Bookert emerges as team leader Mar 4