Portland sweeps past UCLA 74-47 in 76 ClassicNov 27, 2009 - 7:14 AM ANAHEIM, Calif.(AP) -- Jared Stohl and T.J. Campbell scored 15 points each as Portland clobbered UCLA 74-47 Thursday night in the first round of the 76 Classic.
The Pilots (4-0) will play No. 22 Minnesota in the semifinals Friday.
Portland, coming off a seven-point win over Oregon, never trailed. It was UCLA's largest margin of defeat since losing 79-48 at Oregon on March 1, 2003.
Malcolm Lee had 14 points and five rebounds and Drew Gordon 10 points for the Bruins (2-2), who will play No. 12 Butler in a consolation game Friday.
The Pilots, picked second in the West Coast Conference preseason coaches poll, knifed through UCLA's defense with ease, scoring off the dribble and making 3-pointers.
Entering the game having made 52.1 percent of their 3-point attempts, the Pilots continued making a barrage of long-distance shots to bury the Bruins. Portland sank 11 of 19 3-pointers and shot 54.2 percent overall.
Conversely, UCLA shot 32.7 percent overall and 21.7 percent on 3-pointers. The Bruins converted just 6 of 14 free throws.
The 47 points were the fewest UCLA had scored since a 55-48 loss to Washington State on Feb. 5, 2004.
UCLA was so inept on both ends of the court that a fan sitting across from the Portland bench yelled late in the second half, "Come on, you're embarrassing us!" and, "Come on, have some pride! Let's go!"
Stohl made all five of his 3-point attempts to move up to third on the Pilots' career list for 3-point baskets, while Nik Raivio contributed 13 points and five assists.
UCLA forward Nikola Dragovic rejoined the team after serving a two-game suspension. Dragovic, who finished with three points, was suspended after he was arrested in an assault case. He was reinstated Tuesday.
The Pilots made 6 of 8 3-pointers and shot 57.1 percent from the field en route to a 36-19 halftime lead.
- NCAA BB
UCLA 47 FINAL
Nov 27 1:17 AM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
PORTLAND 36 36
UCLA 19 19 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
PORTLAND - T.J. CAMPBELL 10, JARED STOHL 9,
NIK RAIVIO 7
UCLA - MALCOLM LEE 7, DREW GORDON 4, FOUR
PLAYERS WITH 2
Nov 27 12:11 AM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Terry Porter introduced as new Portland Pilots coach Apr 5
- Portland Pilots hire Terry Porter as basketball coach Apr 2
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Wintering sparks Portland past Abilene Christian, 87-57 Nov 23
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28
- UCLA and Gonzaga square off in South Region semifinals Mar 27
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21