Akron squeaks past Arkansas-Pine Bluff 68-65Nov 28, 2009 - 5:04 AM AKRON, Ohio(AP) -- Nikola Cvetinovic scored 12 points, including a go-ahead layup with 37 seconds remaining, to lead Akron in a 68-65 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff on Friday night.
Cvetinovic was 6-for-10 from the field for the Zips (3-2). Anthony Hitchens chipped in with 11 points.
With 4 minutes remaining, Akron held a 64-59 lead. But the Golden Lions went on a 6-0 run, and two free throws from Terrance Calvin with 50 seconds left gave Arkansas-Pine Bluff a 65-64 advantage.
Cvetinovic's layup, however, gave the Zips back the lead, and two free throws from Hitchens made up the final margin.
The Golden Lions had one last chance to tie, but Dominic Moore was stripped by Hitchens as the clock expired.
Arkansas-Pine Bluff (0-4) was led by Savalance Townsend, who scored 15 points. Tyree Glass added 13.
- NCAA BB
ARK PINE BLUFF 65
AKRON 68 FINAL
Nov 27 9:07 PM
- NCAA BB
ARK PINE BLUFF 29
AKRON 32 HALFTIME
Nov 27 7:57 PM
- No. 19 Michigan State cruises past Arkansas-Pine Bluff Dec 6
- Spartans seeks turnaround against Golden Lions Dec 6
- Niang paces Cyclones over Zips Dec 23
- Iowa State and Akron meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 23
- Iowa cruises past Arkansas-Pine Bluff Dec 22
- Golden Lions come calling on 25th-ranked Hawkeyes Dec 22
- No. 8 Oklahoma State crushes UAPB Nov 15
- Golden Lions pay visit to eighth-ranked Cowboys Nov 15
- Daniels, Reddic lead Rams in rout of Zips Mar 22
- Akron takes on VCU in second round of NCAA Tournament Mar 20
- Akron routs Ohio for MAC title Mar 17
- Ohio battles Akron for MAC Tournament title Mar 16