San Diego beats Houston 72-65; tourny finals nextNov 28, 2009 - 7:09 AM ANCHORAGE, Alaska(AP) -- San Diego earned a berth in the finals of the Great Alaska Shootout with a 72-65 victory over Houston on Friday.
Clinton Houston led the Toreros (4-1) with 21 points, including making 7 of 9 attempts from the free-throw line.
Brandon Johnson scored 13 of his 15 points in the second half, and Chris Lewis finished with 11 for San Diego, which led 31-27 at the half.
Kelvin Lewis had 17 points to lead Houston (2-2), while Aubrey Coleman had 16 and Desmond Wade finished with 10.
San Diego made 10 free throws in the final 2:28 to seal the win.
The Toreros will play Washington State (5-0) in Saturday's championship game. Houston will play in the third-place game against host Alaska Anchorage (3-1).
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
SAN DIEGO 31 41 72
HOUSTON 27 38 65 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: SAN DIEGO - CLINTON HOUSTON 21, BRANDON JOHNSON 15,
CHRIS LEWIS 11
HOUSTON - AUBREY COLEMAN 18, KELVIN LEWIS 17, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 8
Nov 28 1:33 AM
- NCAA BB
SAN DIEGO 31
HOUSTON 27 HALFTIME
Nov 28 12:19 AM
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- San Diego hires Lamont Smith as coach Mar 31
- San Diego fires men's hoops coach Grier Mar 16
- Gonzaga pulls away from San Diego Feb 27
- Toreros face tall task in clash with third-ranked Zags Feb 26
- SMU gets past Houston Feb 12
- Mustangs and Cougars clash in AAC action Feb 12
- No. 7 Gonzaga holds off San Diego Dec 30
- Toreros host Bulldogs in WCC action Dec 29
- No. 13 SDSU beats rival San Diego again Dec 5
- Rivals square off as Aztecs host Toreros Dec 4