Downey helps South Carolina top Jacksonville 97-93Nov 28, 2009 - 4:26 AM COLUMBIA, S.C.(AP) -- Devan Downey scored 17 of his 34 points in the final 5 1/2 minutes to lead South Carolina over Jacksonville 97-93 on Friday night.
Despite playing for the first time in four years without Dominique Archie, who injured his knee Sunday in a loss to Miami, the Gamecocks (5-1) won the highest-scoring game in Colonial Life Arena's nine-year history.
Travis Cohn gave Jacksonville (0-3) a 75-74 lead before Downey and Brandis Raley-Ross, who had a season-high 18 points, took control. Downey hit two free throws to give South Carolina the lead, then added a layup on the next possession before Raley-Ross hit a free throw.
Downey then hit a jumper, two free throws, and a pull-up 3-pointer to give the Gamecocks an 86-78 lead with just under 2 minutes remaining.
Raley-Ross hit a lay-up before Downey made two more foul shots.
Ben Smith led the Dolphins with 31 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
JACKSONVILLE 43 50 93
SOUTH CAROLINA 49 48 97 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: JACKSONVILLE - BEN SMITH 31, TRAVIS COHN 14, TWO
PLAYERS WITH 10
SOUTH CAROLINA - DEVAN DOWNEY 34, BRANDIS RALEY-ROSS 18,
SAM MULDROW 12
Nov 27 9:10 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTH CAROLINA 49 HALFTIME
Nov 27 7:51 PM
- South Carolina forward Raymond Doby leaving the program May 18
- South Carolina dismisses suspended players Gregory, Cobb Apr 4
- Gamecocks give men's coach Frank Martin 4-year extension Apr 1
- South Carolina got told it was in - except, it wasn't Mar 31
- Offseason questions loom for Frank Martin, South Carolina Mar 23
- 2 South Carolina players arrested over BB gun shooting Mar 17
- 5 South Carolina players suspended before NIT game Mar 15
- South Carolina moving on from NCAA snub Mar 14
- South Carolina looking to take next step at SEC Tournament Mar 8
- Morehead State beats Jacksonville State 82-71 Feb 27
- Big Week: South Carolina could move to top of SEC standings Feb 9
- No. 25 South Carolina looks for win at No. 8 Texas A&M Feb 5