Virginia Commonwealth holds off Nevada 85-76Nov 28, 2009 - 3:29 AM RICHMOND, Va.(AP) -- Larry Sanders had 17 points, 14 rebounds and five blocks as Virginia Commonwealth held off Nevada for an 85-76 win on Friday night.
The Rams (4-1) broke to a 16-5 lead and pushed to a 26-15 margin with 6:11 left on T.J. Gwynn's jumper. The Wolf Pack, who missed 18 of their first 21 shots, then cut the margin to 30-28 with 2:13 left.
Virginia Commonwealth held on for a 35-28 halftime lead and began the second half on a 10-2 run. The Rams built the lead to 60-40 with 12:20 left on Ed Nixon's dunk.
Nevada (2-2) pulled within eight points as Virginia Commonwealth went without a field goal for 5:11 before a Brandon Rozzell jumper in the lane ended the dry spell. Nevada could get no closer than seven the rest of the way.
Nixon added a career-high 17 points for the Rams.
Luke Babbitt led the Wolf Pack with a career-high 27 points, 23 in the second half.
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 85 FINAL
Nov 27 9:39 PM
- NCAA BB
VA COMMONWEALTH 35 HALFTIME
Nov 27 8:26 PM
- Things looking more normal for Wade in Year 2 at VCU May 13
- VCU announces sophomore F Michael Gilmore is transferring May 3
- AP Source: Former UNLV coach Dave Rice hired at Nevada Apr 25
- Nevada defends hire of Cal assistant accused of harassment Apr 15
- Nevada hires former Cal assistant Yann Hufnagel Apr 9
- VCU restructures, extends contract of men's hoops coach Wade Mar 29
- Oklahoma faces another dangerous double-digit seed in VCU Mar 19
- Payton II following in father's NCAA footsteps at Oregon St Mar 17
- VCU hoping to find winning formula again in NCAA Tournament Mar 16
- VCU seeking another shot at A10 Tournament championship Mar 9
- JeQuan Lewis' growth at PG a key to VCU's winning streak Feb 5
- VCU coach Will Wade says surging Rams can't get complacent Jan 21