Cothran leads Rhode Island over Davidson 75-65Nov 28, 2009 - 9:18 PM By MIKE CRANSTON AP Sports Writer
DAVIDSON, N.C.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored 19 points and Rhode Island used stifling defense in a 75-65 victory over Davidson on Saturday to continue the Wildcats' woes following Stephen Curry's departure.
Lamonte Ulmer added 12 points and Akeem Richmond scored 11 for the Rams (4-0), who won their first game outside Rhode Island this season behind its suffocating fullcourt press.
Rhode Island forced 18 turnovers and held Davidson (1-5) to 39 percent shooting, overcoming foul trouble to second-leading scorer Delroy James in the first meeting between the teams since Davidson's victory in the 1966 NCAA tournament.
Jake Cohen had 16 points and seven rebounds and Brendan McKillop scored 12 points for Davidson, which has yet to win against a Division I team as it rebuild after losing Curry, the school's all-time leading scorer and seventh overall pick of the Golden State Warriors.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 75
DAVIDSON 65 FINAL
Nov 28 4:01 PM
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- White dominates as Iowa downs Davidson Mar 21
- South Region pits Hawkeyes against Wildcats Mar 20
- VCU beats Davidson to reach A-10 title game Mar 14
- Rams and Wildcats collide in A-10 bout Mar 14
- No. 24 Davidson beats La Salle at buzzer Mar 13
- Explorers seek upset of Wildcats in A-10 Tournament Mar 13
- Davidson hands No. 22 Dayton first A-10 loss Jan 20
- Davidson hosts No. 22 Dayton Jan 20
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13