Canisius beats Howard 70-54 for third win in a rowNov 28, 2009 - 11:55 PM BUFFALO, N.Y.(AP) -- Julius Coles scored 27 points and Canisius beat Howard 70-54 on Saturday for its third straight win.
Coles made 9 of 17 field goal attempts, including 3 of 7 from 3-point range for the Golden Griffins (3-1). Greg Logins scored 14 points for Canisius and Frank Turner added 13.
The Golden Griffins shot only 37.9 percent from the field (25-for-66) while the Bison (0-7) made only 36.8 percent of their field goal attempts (21-for-57).
The Golden Griffins won the game with their defense, forcing 18 turnovers, including 12 steals. The Golden Griffins got 19 points off turnovers.
Kyle Riley scored 11 points and Calvin Thompson pulled down 10 rebounds to lead the Bison. It was Howard's sixth game away from home already this season, as it played four games in Florida at the Glenn Wilkes Classic.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Bennett lifts UNLV over Canisius Dec 23
- Canisius heads to Sin City to take on No. 21 UNLV Dec 22
- No. 4 Syracuse routs Canisius Dec 15
- Fourth-ranked Syracuse hosts Canisius in Gotham Classic Dec 15
- Canisius hires Jim Baron Apr 2
- Former Canisius basketball coach Curran dies Jan 30
- No. 17 Kansas downs Howard Dec 30
- Kansas welcomes Howard to Lawrence Dec 29
- Indiana thumps Howard Dec 19
- Bison seek upset of undefeated Hoosiers Dec 19
- No. 18 Georgetown downs Howard Dec 10