Miami stays unbeaten in 70-41 rout over SC-UpstateNov 28, 2009 - 7:55 PM CORAL GABLES, Fla.(AP) -- Dwayne Collins scored 17 points as Miami remained unbeaten in a 70-41 rout over South Carolina-Upstate on Saturday.
Miami outscored the Spartans 20-4 and broke the game open during a 7:51 span midway through the first half. Collins scored six points during the spurt and Julian Gamble's field goal with 6:45 remaining capped the run for a 25-11 Hurricanes' lead.
Cyrus McGowan's jumper with 3:13 left in the half gave the Hurricanes their first 20-point lead at 33-13.
Reggie Johnson finished with 13 points for the Hurricanes (7-0).
Nick Schneiders led the Spartans (0-5) with 11 points.
Mezie Uzochukwu's reverse layup 1:19 into the second half put South Carolina-Upstate within 14 points. But Collins responded with seven straight points in the next 2:33 to give Miami a 45-24 lead.
- Australian Vasiljevic signs to play basketball for Miami Apr 13
- Miami Hurricanes sophomore James Palmer decides to transfer Mar 28
- Miami falls to 0-3 in Sweet 16, routed 92-69 by Villanova Mar 25
- Friendship will take a backseat in Villanova-Miami matchup Mar 23
- Miami plays Villanova with chance at 1st Elite 8 berth Mar 21
- Wichita State Shockers face Miami, ready to keep on shocking Mar 18
- Fast-paced game expected in Miami, Buffalo matchup Mar 16
- Larranaga hopes Miami can recapture George Mason's magic Mar 8
- Larranaga optimistic No. 7 Hurricanes will finish strong Feb 29
- Miami's Newton suspended 3 games for violating team rules Feb 27
- No. 11 Hurricanes to face 4 ranked teams in 12 days Feb 18
- 7-foot Tonye Jekiri a big reason for Hurricanes' success Feb 11