Iowa holds off North Carolina Central 73-63Nov 28, 2009 - 8:38 PM IOWA CITY, Iowa(AP) -- Jarryd Cole scored a career-high 24 points on Saturday to lead Iowa to a 73-63 victory against North Carolina Central.
Iowa (2-4) built a 47-32 lead in the second half, but the Hawkeyes had to hold off a run by North Carolina Central (1-6). The Eagles pulled within six points at 55-49 and 59-53, both times on 3-pointers by Michael Glasker.
But Iowa regained control, leading 65-53 with 3:36 remaining on consecutive baskets by Eric May, Cully Payne and Cole.
Vincent Davis led North Carolina Central with 18 points.
- NCAA BB
FINAL 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NORTH CAROLINA CENTR 21 42 63
IOWA 30 43 73 FINAL
HIGH SCORERS: NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL - VINCENT DAVIS 18, MICHAEL GLASKER 17,
TWO PLAYERS WITH 9
IOWA - JARRYD COLE 24, MATT GATENS 16,
CULLY PAYNE 11
Nov 28 3:27 PM
- NCAA BB
NC CENTRAL 21
IOWA 30 HALFTIME
Nov 28 2:24 PM
- Peter Jok to return to Iowa for senior season May 20
- Iowa puts walk-on Nicholas Baer on scholarship Apr 7
- Iowa guard Andrew Fleming to transfer Mar 31
- Iowa's promising season ends in disappointment Mar 21
- Villanova-Iowa bound to end a Sweet 16 drought, but just 1 Mar 19
- Iowa looking to turn things around against Temple Mar 17
- Guard Mike Gesell blossoms into unheralded star for Iowa Mar 8
- No. 8 Iowa suffers damaging 68-64 loss at Ohio State Feb 28
- Iowa controls Big Ten destiny despite loss to Penn State Feb 22
- Iowa big man Adam Woodbury silences critics Feb 10
- Iowa surges into Top 25 with strong Big Ten start Jan 5
- Iowa athletics staffer files discrimination suit vs school Nov 4