Eastern Kentucky beats Florida International 81-67Nov 29, 2009 - 2:38 AM RICHMOND, Ky.(AP) -- Pappa Oppong scored 21 points to lead five players in double figures in an 81-67 win over Florida International on Saturday night.
Justin Stommes scored 15 points, and Josh Taylor and Spencer Perrin each had 14. Dayvon Ellis added 10 points off the bench.
The Colonels are 5-1 for the first time since the 2006-07 season, the last time they earned a berth in the NCAA Tournament.
The Panthers (2-6), led 32-31 at halftime but the Colonels shot 63.6 percent (21-for-33) from the field in the second half to pull away. The Colonels led by as many as 16 points.
The Colonels fired 28 3-point shots and made 7 of 13 (58.1 percent) in the second half, and 42.9 percent (12-for-28) for the game.
Marvin Roberts led the Owls with 19 points. Marlon Gary added 13 points, J.C. Otero had 12 points and 12 rebounds, and Phil Gary scored 10 points.
- No. 18 Miami falls at home to Eastern Kentucky Dec 19
- Colonels seek upset of 18th-ranked Hurricanes Dec 19
- Towns, Kentucky rout EKU Dec 8
- Top-ranked Wildcats play host to Colonels Dec 7
- No. 5 Louisville powers past FIU Dec 5
- Panthers seek upset of fifth-ranked Cardinals Dec 5
- Eastern Kentucky extends Neubauer's contract May 5
- Kansas advances with win over EKU Mar 21
- Colonels face tall task in showdown with Jayhawks Mar 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Smith powers Louisville to blowout of FIU Dec 22