Hedgepeth, Belmont crush Eastern Illinois 95-62Nov 29, 2009 - 2:28 AM CHARLESTON, Ill.(AP) -- Mick Hedgepeth hit 8 of 9 shots and scored 23 points to direct Belmont to a 95-62 victory over Eastern Illinois on Saturday night.
Keaton Belcher scored 15, and Jordan Campbell and Drew Hanlen had 11 apiece for the Bruins (3-2).
Tyler Laser led the Panthers (3-2) with 21 points, but no teammate had more than eight.
The Bruins held big advantages in shooting, 52.5 percent to 36.5 percent, and 3-point shooting, 43.8 percent (14 of 32) to 22.2 percent (2 of 9).
It got one-sided quickly. Jeremy Granger scored to give Eastern Illinois a 5-4 lead with 1:35 gone, but Hedgepeth's jumper 14 seconds later put the Bruins ahead to stay. They led 47-22 at halftime.
The gap hit 62-31 on Hanlen's basket with 14:45 to go and finally reached 40 points at 90-50 on Hedgepeth's layup with 5:33 left.
Eastern Illinois will visit Belmont on Dec. 19.
- NCAA BB
EASTRN ILLINOIS 62 FINAL
Nov 28 8:59 PM
- NCAA BB
EASTRN ILLINOIS 22 HALFTIME
Nov 28 7:56 PM
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Groselle, Creighton down Eastern Illinois Nov 26
- Panthers visit Bluejays in Emerald Coast Classic Nov 25
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8
- Randle helps Kentucky fend off Belmont Dec 21
- Wildcats set sights on Bruins Dec 21
- Belmont shocks No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17
- Belmont battles No. 12 North Carolina Nov 17