Drake beats Austin Peay 78-72Nov 29, 2009 - 3:23 AM CLARKSVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Ryan Wedel scored 21 points to lead Drake to a 78-72 win over Austin Peay on Saturday night.
Wedel shot 7-for-11 from the field and nailed five 3-pointers for the Bulldogs (2-4). Aaron Hawley added 16 points in 19 minutes.
Drake led 38-29 at halftime, thanks to two 3-pointers from Wedel to close the first half.
But in the second half, Austin Peay chipped away at the lead, and a 7-0 run from the Governors (2-4) cut the lead to 46-40 with 15:18 remaining.
Drake regained a double-digit lead, but Austin Peay used a late 8-0 run to get as close as 74-72 after a three-point play by Tyrone Caldwell with 1:05 left. The Governors failed to score the rest of the way, though, and went 0-for-5 in their last three possessions.
Anthony Campbell paced the Governors with 23 points, while Marcel Williams added 11 rebounds.
- Coach Dave Loos returning as Austin Peay coach Apr 5
- Top-seeded Kansas opens tournament play vs. Austin Peay Mar 16
- Drake hoping to turn corner in 2015-16 Oct 5
- Northern Iowa easily handles Drake Feb 7
- Bulldogs hit road to challenge 14th-ranked Panthers Feb 7
- No. 14 Wichita State routs Drake Jan 25
- Drake seeks upset of No. 14 Wichita State Jan 25
- Baker lifts No. 16 Wichita State past Drake Dec 31
- Bulldogs host Shockers in MVC action Dec 31
- Iowa State crushes Drake Dec 20
- 13th-ranked Cyclones clash with Bulldogs Dec 20
- Cotton, Wichita State rout Drake Feb 23