Hampton win 78-67 over WyomingNov 29, 2009 - 4:56 AM LARAMIE, Wyo.(AP) -- Vincent Simpson scored 34 points as Hampton won its first game of the season 78-67 over Wyoming Saturday night in the World Vision Basketball Challenge.
The Pirates (1-5) lost an early 13-point lead, but used a 14-4 run midway through the second half to take control.
Wyoming (2-4) came back to cut the lead to four with 3:21 to play, but Simpson hit his sixth 3-pointer of the game (6 of 10) and the Pirates regained the momentum.
Michael Freeman scored 16 points for Hampton, which led 34-26 at halftime. The Pirates shot 48 percent from the field, to just 34 for Wyoming.
Djibril Thiam led the Cowboys with 20 points, followed by A.J. Davis with 18 points and Adam Waddell with 14.
The Cowboys struggled from the outside, hitting just 1 of 21 3-point attempts and were 3 of 39 in the tournament.
- NCAA BB
WYOMING 67 FINAL
Nov 28 11:43 PM
- NCAA BB
WYOMING 26 HALFTIME
Nov 28 10:18 PM
- Shyatt steps down as Wyoming coach; Edwards is new coach Mar 21
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- UNI holds off Wyoming Mar 20
- East Regional action pits Wyoming against Northern Iowa Mar 20
- Kentucky starts slow, still pummels Hampton Mar 20
- No. 1 Kentucky opens with matchup against Hampton Mar 19
- Hampton tops Manhattan, advances to play Kentucky Mar 18
- Hampton and Manhattan open NCAA Tournament Mar 17
- Wyoming tops San Diego State for MWC title Mar 15
- Hampton tops Delaware State for MEAC title Mar 14
- Cowboys and Aztecs battle for MWC crown Mar 14