UC Santa Barbara downs Loyola Marymount 89-84Nov 29, 2009 - 6:23 AM LOS ANGELES(AP) -- UC Santa Barbara felt right at home in its first road trip of the season, using its best shooting outing to earn an 89-84 win over Loyola Marymount.
James Powell hit 5 of 7 3-point attempts and finished with 21 points for the Gauchos (4-0), who were 10 for 16 from behind the arc. UCSB shot 56 percent from the field (28-for-50).
Orlando Johnson and James Nunnally each added 16 points for UCSB, while Sam Phippen and Jaime Serna had 14 and 12, respectively.
Drew Viney had 25 points for Loyola Marymount (2-5). Kevin Young added 20, Vernon Teel 14, and Jarred DuBois 12.
The Lions overcame a 10-point deficit in the second half to come within three on several occasions. They had two chances in the paint in the final 30 seconds to cut the lead to one, but couldn't convert. UCSB then went 4 for 4 from the free-throw line in the final 20 seconds to seal it.
- No. 3 Gonzaga blows past Loyola Marymount Feb 13
- Lions face tall task in clash with third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 12
- Balanced Zags beat LMU Jan 18
- First vs. worst in the WCC, as Zags visit Lions Jan 17
- Wichita State has no problem with Loyola Marymount Dec 23
- Lions and Shockers meet in Diamond Head Classic Dec 22
- Kansas handles challenge from UCSB Nov 15
- No. 5 Kansas lifts lid on season against UC Santa Barbara Nov 14
- Dunlap returns to Loyola Marymount Mar 13
- Loyola Marymount, Good part ways Mar 12
- UCLA takes care of UC Santa Barbara Dec 4
- Gauchos and Bruins mix it up in Golden State fracas Dec 3