NC State beats New Orleans 69-52Nov 29, 2009 - 9:10 PM By AARON BEARD AP Sports Writer
RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Tracy Smith had 20 points and eight rebounds to help North Carolina State beat New Orleans 69-52 on Sunday.
C.J. Williams added a season-high 12 for the Wolfpack (5-0), who built a double-digit lead in the first 5 minutes and maintained control the rest of the way. N.C. State led by 10 points at halftime, then used an 11-0 spurt midway through the second half to turn away the Privateers' best run to get back in the game.
Javi Gonzalez hit 3s on consecutive possessions to start that spurt, then fed Smith inside for a hook that made it 50-35 with 11:18 left. Dennis Horner closed the run with a midrange jumper off an inbound pass and a free throw, pushing the lead to 18 points with 9:44 to play and effectively sealing the win.
Charles Carmouche scored 16 points to lead New Orleans (3-2), which shot 35 percent.
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25
- Highly recruited Smith assisting NC State from sideline Jan 22