Higgins leads Eastern Michigan past Canisius 75-58Dec 1, 2009 - 2:43 AM YPSILANTI, Mich.(AP) -- Jay Higgins dropped 25 points on Canisius in Eastern Michigan's 75-58 victory Monday night.
Higgins included five of his team's seven 3-pointers in a 10-for-17 shooting night for the Eagles (5-2), who won their third straight.
Brandon Bowdry added 18 points and a game-high eight rebounds, and Carlos Medlock went 7-for-9 from the free throw line en route to 12 points. Medlock, the current Mid-American Conference West player of the week, also had a game-best eight assists.
Greg Logins led the Golden Griffins (3-2) with 18 points and seven rebounds. Frank Turner scored 12 points and Elton Frazier 11.
Tomas Vazquez-Simmons converted a layup to pull Canisius within 10-6 with 16:40 left in the first half. But then Eastern Michigan embarked on a 25-10 spurt that put the game away.
The Eagles, who never trailed, led 46-25 at intermission.
- Canisius coach Baron retires after 29-year career May 20
- Eastern Michigan cruises past NAIA Rochester (Mich) 86-58 Dec 8
- No. 25 Michigan State beats EMU Dec 18
- Spartans set sights on soaring Eagles Dec 17
- Syracuse cruises past Eastern Michigan Dec 31
- Eagles hoping to soar past second-ranked Orange Dec 31
- Parker, Duke cruise past Eastern Michigan Dec 28
- Ninth-ranked Blue Devils set sights on Eagles Dec 28
- No. 21 UMass downs Eastern Michigan Dec 3
- Eagles hoping to soar past 21st-ranked Minutemen Dec 3
- Cauley-Stein, No. 3 Kentucky crush Eastern Michigan Nov 27
- Eagles put perfect mark on line against third-ranked Wildcats Nov 27