Battle lifts Penn State over Virginia 69-66Dec 1, 2009 - 2:21 AM By HANK KURZ Jr. AP Sports Writer
CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va.(AP) -- Talor Battle scored 28 of his 32 points in the second half and Penn State withstood a furious rally by Virginia in the final minute to beat the Cavaliers 69-66 Monday night in the opener of the Big Ten-ACC challenge.
The Nittany Lions (5-2) led 55-43 with about 4 minutes left, but a banked-in 3-pointer by Sylven Landesberg and three by Sammy Zeglinski in the final 1:31 got the Cavaliers to within 67-66 with 5.7 seconds left before Battle's two free throws produced the final score.
Penn State became the first Big Ten team to win three straight in the annual matchup of conferences. The Nittany Lions beat Virginia Tech in 2007 and won at Georgia Tech last year.
Landesberg led Virginia (4-3) with 18 points, Mike Scott had 17 and Zeglinski 16, including 11 in the final 1:17. He missed a leaning 3-pointer for the tie at the buzzer.
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 69
VIRGINIA 66 FINAL
Nov 30 9:01 PM
- NCAA BB
PENN ST 21
VIRGINIA 27 HALFTIME
Nov 30 7:41 PM
- Second-half collapse mars finish for Virginia's seniors Mar 28
- Top-seeded Virginia collapses late, loses 68-62 to Syracuse Mar 27
- Virginia knocking on door for Final Four Mar 27
- Styles clash in Sweet 16 match between Virginia, Iowa State Mar 24
- Virginia will have to prove defensive chops against Cyclones Mar 22
- Weekend of upsets leaves Virginia as Midwest favorite Mar 20
- No. 1 seed Virginia prepares for 2nd-round test from Butler Mar 18
- UVa routs Hampton 81-45 after Bennett collapses, returns Mar 17
- No. 1 seed Virginia keeps focus on Hampton - not Spartans Mar 16
- Brogdon, Gill look to help Virginia make deep run in tourney Mar 14
- Virginia's Brogdon: Lost year was a 'blessing' in disguise Mar 4
- No. 7 Tar Heels, No. 3 Cavaliers meet in marquee ACC matchup Feb 27