VMI beats Lynchburg 108-93Dec 1, 2009 - 3:40 AM LEXINGTON, Va.(AP) -- Keith Gabriel tied a career high with 34 points and Michael Sparks set a new one with his 25 points, leading Virginia Military Institute in a 108-93 win over Lynchburg College on Monday night.
Sparks also hit a career-high seven 3-pointers and Gabriel added six more for the Keydets (3-2), who went 18-for-47 from beyond the arc (38.3 percent).
Nick Gore and Austin Kenon added 17 points apiece for VMI, and Ron Burks dished out a career-high 13 assists.
The Keydets never trailed in the game, jumping out to an 11-2 lead and didn't look back. VMI led Lynchburg 54-39 at the half.
The Hornets (1-4) won the rebounding battle 54-37, but turned the ball over 27 times. They also went just 2-for-10 from 3-point range.
Lynchburg was led by Steven Echols, who scored 20 points.
- Samford tops VMI in OT, 92-85, advances in SoCon tourney Mar 4
- VMI introduces Earl as new men's hoops coach Apr 13
- Citadel hires VMI coach Baucom Mar 30
- No. 21 West Virginia routs VMI Nov 27
- Mountaineers continue run against Keydets Nov 26
- Asheville downs VMI for 2nd straight Big South title Mar 3
- Keydets and Bulldogs meet in Big South title tilt Mar 3
- Pittsburgh dominates VMI Dec 6
- Panthers and Keydets square off in Pittsburgh Dec 6
- Buford, No. 3 Ohio State handle VMI Nov 23
- Keydets seek upset in bout with third-ranked Buckeyes Nov 23
- Coastal Carolina moves onto semis; beats VMI 82-73 Mar 2