South Carolina Upstate defeats Stetson 78-56Dec 1, 2009 - 4:14 AM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Josh Chavis scored 18 points and South Carolina Upstate finished with its highest shooting percentage since the 2002-03 season in a 78-56 win over Stetson on Monday night.
The Spartans (1-5, 1-0 Atlantic Sun) shot 61.2 percent from the field (30 of 49), including 66.7 from behind the 3-point arc (8 of 12).
Chavis was 7 of 11 from the field, including 4 of 5 on 3-pointers, and Nick Schneiders was 8 of 13 from the field. Schneiders finished with 17 points.
The Spartans led 56-52 with 9:23 left to play before scoring 20 unanswered points over the next 7:25. Pat Posey put S.C. Upstate ahead 76-52 on two free throws with 1:58 to play.
The Spartans led 38-52 at halftime after shooting 60 percent from the field (15 of 25) and 66.7 percent from 3-point range (6 of 9) in the first half.
Tyshawn Patterson led the Hatters (2-4, 0-1) with 17 points.
- Stetson makes intriguing run to A-Sun final against FGCU Mar 5
- Stetson routs Albany State (Ga) 95-69 Dec 16
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Irish beat up Stetson Nov 10
- No. 21 Notre Dame plays host to Stetson Nov 10
- Alexander leaves Stetson to take Lipscomb job May 18
- USC Upstate gives Payne extension Oct 26
- Buckeyes handle Spartans, Sullinger solid in return Dec 15
- Buckeyes and Spartans square off in Columbus Dec 14
- Donovan gets 400th career win as Florida routs Stetson Nov 28