Hofstra holds off Fairfield 84-80Dec 1, 2009 - 3:05 AM HEMPSTEAD, N.Y.(AP) -- Charles Jenkins scored a career-high 38 points to help Hofstra hold off Fairfield 84-80 on Monday night.
Nathaniel Lester added 18 points for the Pride (4-3), who have won three of four since losing by nine points at 14th-ranked Connecticut on Nov. 17.
Jenkins finished 12-for-17 from the floor, including a 5-for-7 mark from beyond the arc and a 9-for-9 performance at the foul line. Lester shot 7-for-12 from the floor.
Hofstra trailed Fairfield 42-40 at halftime, but took a two point lead after a 9-2 run midway through the second period. With the game tied at 75-all with just over 3 minutes left, Jenkins iced the game with a pair of free throws and a 3-pointer to put Hofstra ahead by five with 1:20 left.
Derek Needham paced the Stags (4-2) with 26 points and Yorel Hawkins and Anthony Johnson added 22 apiece.
- NCAA BB
HOFSTRA 84 FINAL
Nov 30 9:11 PM
- NCAA BB
HOFSTRA 40 HALFTIME
Nov 30 7:56 PM
- Hofstra, Mihalich agree to extension Apr 29
- Hofstra's Nichols to miss rest of season Jan 26
- Hofstra's rise close to being complete Oct 22
- Hofstra coach Mihalich agrees to extension Jun 1
- No. 4 Duke reaches triple digits in rout of Fairfield Nov 15
- No. 4 Duke gets right back to work against Fairfield Nov 15
- SMU-Hofstra game postponed Dec 6
- Harrell lifts Louisville over Fairfield Nov 23
- Hall of Fame Tip Off pits Cardinals against Stags Nov 23
- Louisville breezes past Hofstra Nov 12
- Pride come calling on third-ranked Cardinals Nov 12
- Hofstra hires Mihalich Apr 10