Northwestern State holds off Centenary 83-80Dec 1, 2009 - 4:49 AM SHREVEPORT, La.(AP) -- Will Pratt scored 16 points and Northwestern State held off a late Centenary rally to beat the Gentlemen 83-80 on Monday night and snap a five-game road skid.
The Demons (3-2) led by as many as 22 points and were ahead 74-56 with 4:04 to go. David Perez got Centenary (3-2) within 79-75 with a 3-pointer with 46 seconds remaining.
Northwestern State made foul shots to lead 82-78, then Roman Tubner scored on a layup with 7 seconds left.
After Shamir Davis hit another free throw, Perez got across midcourt with under 2 seconds left, but was stripped of the ball by Michael McConathy in the final second.
Davis had 13 points and McConathy had 12 and six assists.
The Gentlemen, who snapped a three-game winning streak, were scoreless the first 6 minutes and shot 16.1 percent (5-for-31) in the first half.
Perez scored 18 points to lead Centenary and Maxx Nakwaasah added 17.
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN ST 83
CENTENARY 80 FINAL
Nov 30 10:13 PM
- NCAA BB
NORTHWESTERN ST 41
CENTENARY 24 HALFTIME
Nov 30 8:55 PM
- Oklahoma dominates Northwestern State Nov 23
- Sooners return to action, hoping to exercise Demons Nov 23
- Baylor outlasts Northwestern State in OT Dec 19
- No. 12 Baylor battles Northwestern State Dec 18
- Memphis makes short work of Northwestern State Dec 7
- Demons seek upset of 16th-ranked Tigers Dec 7
- Florida powers past Northwestern State Mar 23
- Gators, Demons square off in South Region's second round Mar 21
- Northwestern State wins Southland Mar 17
- Demons, Lumberjacks duke it out for Southland crown Mar 16
- No. 18 Mississippi State bedevils Northwestern State Dec 22
- Demons and Bulldogs duke it out in Jackson Dec 22