Belmont defeats Tennessee State 69-60Dec 1, 2009 - 3:40 AM NASHVILLE, Tenn.(AP) -- Kerron Johnson scored 14 points to pace Belmont to a 69-60 victory over Tennessee State on Monday night.
Johnson also finished with a team-high five assists for the Bruins (4-2). Scott Saunders added 13 points, and Jon House scored 11.
Belmont began the game with a 15-0 lead, capped by a layup from Scott Sanders with 14:45 remaining in the first half.
But Tennessee State responded with an 11-0 run, and two free throws from Martell Buie made the score 15-11 with 11:58 left. The Tigers trailed 32-27 at halftime.
The Tigers (1-6) were led by Buie, who scored eight points.
Tennessee State shot 31.9 percent from the field (22-for-69), while the Bruins shot 49 percent (25-for-51).
Belmont shot only 48.3 percent from the free throw line (14-for-29), but outscored the Tigers in the paint 38-24.
- Wofford wallops ETSU 87-73 as Collins scores 24 Jan 28
- Guyn's 26 lead E. Tennessee St. in 103-90 win over Green Bay Nov 17
- Virginia staves off upset bid from Belmont Mar 20
- Belmont battles Virginia in East Regional melee Mar 20
- Belmont shocks Murray State to win OVC crown Mar 7
- Racers and Bruins battle for OVC crown Mar 7
- Hapless Tigers challenge high-flying Frogs Dec 29
- Anderson, Gill power No. 8 Virginia past Tennessee State Nov 26
- Tennessee State comes calling on No. 8 Virginia Nov 25
- Tennessee State names Dana Ford head coach Apr 21
- Eastern Kentucky tops Belmont in OVC title game Mar 9
- Bruins battle Colonels for OVC crown Mar 8