Northwestern tops NC State 65-53Dec 2, 2009 - 2:23 AM By JOEDY McCREARY AP Sports Writer
RALEIGH, N.C.(AP) -- Michael Thompson scored 22 points and Northwestern beat North Carolina State 65-53 on Tuesday night in the Big Ten/ACC Challenge.
Jeremy Nash added 12 points for the Wildcats (6-1). Northwestern led by 14, only briefly trailed and won its fifth straight - the last three coming against teams that entered unbeaten.
Tracy Smith had a season-high 23 points - including 10 in a row down the stretch for the Wolfpack (5-1) - on 9-for-18 shooting.
N.C. State cut it to 57-52 on Julius Mays' layup at the 2-minute mark before Northwestern put the game in its point guard's hands. Thompson converted a three-point play about 30 seconds later, then added another free throw to make it a nine-point game and give the Wildcats plenty of breathing room.
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 53 FINAL
Dec 1 8:59 PM
- NCAA BB
NC STATE 24 HALFTIME
Dec 1 7:47 PM
- NC State's Anya opts out of draft, returns for senior season May 20
- NC State forward Abdul-Malik Abu pulls out of NBA Draft May 19
- NC State adds 7-foot Turkish center Omer Yurtseven May 16
- NC State's 1983 NCAA championship team to visit White House Apr 28
- Twins Caleb and Cody Martin transferring from NC State Mar 24
- NC State junior Anthony 'Cat' Barber to remain in NBA draft Mar 22
- Gottfried, Wolfpack focused on returning to NCAAs next year Mar 15
- NC State assistant Moxley moving to support role after year Mar 6
- NC State's Barber carries heavy load for struggling Wolfpack Mar 4
- Wolfpack's Henderson still working back from ankle injury Feb 5
- NC State keeping eye on 'Cat' Barber's injured knee Jan 25
- Highly recruited Smith assisting NC State from sideline Jan 22