Central Florida rolls past Newberry 80-62Dec 2, 2009 - 3:17 AM ORLANDO, Fla.(AP) -- A.J. Tyler had 16 points and nine rebounds to lead Central Florida to an 80-62 victory over Newberry College on Tuesday night.
Jakub Kusmieruk, who scored 11 points, was the only other UCF player in double figures as 15 Knights saw action. UCF (6-1) is off to its best start since going 6-0 to open the 2006-07 season and improved to 4-0 at home this year.
The Knights led only 24-20 with 7:49 remaining in the first half, but outscored Newberry 16-4 for a 40-24 advantage with 1:24 left. Isaac Sosa scored five points, including a 3-pointer, to spark the run.
UCF, which shot 50 percent from the field (33-for-66), stayed in the lead in double figures for the remainder of the game to snap Newberry's three-game winning streak.
Newberry (3-3), a Division II program, had 22 turnovers.
Stephane Bakinde led Newberry with 12 points and Ryan Barnes added 11.
- NCAA BB
UCF 80 FINAL
Dec 1 8:54 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
NEWBERRY 26 26
UCF 42 42 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
NEWBERRY - RAY ROBINSON 6, JEREMEE DAVIS 5,
RODNEY LEE 4
UCF - TAYLOR YOUNG 9, ISAAC SOSA 8,
A.J. TYLER 8
Dec 1 7:49 PM
- Column: NCAA should allow players to leave when coaches bolt Apr 15
- UCF introduces Johnny Dawkins as new men's basketball coach Mar 24
- UCF hires Johnny Dawkins as next men's basketball coach Mar 23
- UCF fires coach Donnie Jones following loss in AAC tourney Mar 11
- UCF's Taylor to miss remainder of season with leg injury Dec 23
- NCAA clears UCF 7-foot-6 recruit Tacko Fall to play Nov 13
- UCF files for academic waiver for 7-6 recruit Tacko Fall Nov 12
- Eligibility of 7-foot-6 UCF recruit in doubt as season nears Nov 10
- Column: Slick Rick deserves to be benched during scandal Oct 23
- No. 13 Cincinnati sneaks past UCF Mar 14
- AAC quarterfinals pits Bearcats against Knights Mar 13
- No. 23 SMU routs UCF Mar 1