UTEP defeats New Mexico State 79-58Dec 2, 2009 - 4:37 AM LAS CRUCES, N.M.(AP) -- Randy Culpepper led Texas-El Paso with 18 points in a 79-58 victory over New Mexico State on Tuesday night.
Julyan Stone added 17 points and Christian Polk 11 for UTEP, which improved to 5-0 for the first time since 2000-01.
Jahmar Young led the Aggies (2-4) with 17 points.
UTEP never trailed and led by as many as 18 in the first half. The Miners outscored the Aggies 22-9 in the last eight minutes of the first half, including a 19-5 run in which the Aggies didn't score a field goal.
The Aggies closed to within 13 early in the second half, but the Miners then extended their lead to 21 with 13:27 left. UTEP led by as many as 27 in the second half.
The Miners shot 44.3 percent and held the Aggies to 28.6 percent.
UTEP outrebounded the Aggies 48-38 and scored 27 points off 17 turnovers.
- NCAA BB
NEW MEXICO ST 58 FINAL
Dec 1 11:02 PM
- NCAA BB
HALFTIME 1ST 2ND TOTAL
--- --- -----
UTEP 39 39
NEW MEXICO STATE 24 24 HALFTIME
HIGH SCORERS AT HALFTIME
UTEP - RANDY CULPEPPER 11, JULYAN STONE 10,
ARNETT MOULTRIE 6
NEW MEXICO STATE - JAHMAR YOUNG 7, JONATHAN GIBSON 6,
HAMIDU RAHMAN 5
Dec 1 9:56 PM
- New Mexico State's Weir adds Henson as an Aggie adviser May 11
- New Mexico State, Wichita State to play makeup game Feb. 15 Jan 18
- New Mexico State pulls in OT, beats Robert Morris 81-71 Nov 25
- Kansas gives Big 12 a lift with rout of New Mexico State Mar 20
- New Mexico State seeks upset of Kansas Mar 20
- New Mexico State cruises past Seattle to win WAC Mar 15
- Aggies go for fourth straight WAC title against Seattle Mar 14
- UTEP coach Floyd suspended 1 game Feb 27
- Colorado State holds off upset-minded New Mexico State Dec 27
- Aggies entertain undefeated Rams Dec 27
- No. 3 Arizona outlasts UTEP Dec 20
- Third-ranked Wildcats hit road to battle Miners Dec 19