Gibbs' key 3s lead Pitt past Duquesne 67-58 in 2OTDec 3, 2009 - 2:53 AM By ALAN ROBINSON AP Sports Writer
PITTSBURGH(AP) -- Ashton Gibbs shook off a poor shooting night to make a pair of 3-pointers in the second overtime and Pittsburgh rallied from a 16-point deficit in the second half to beat city rival Duquesne for the ninth consecutive time, 67-58 on Wednesday night.
Gibbs was 1 of 12 before hitting two of three shots plus two free throws in the second overtime, after the Panthers (6-1) surged back from a 40-24 deficit against player-thin Duquesne (5-2).
The Dukes used only one reserve for more than a couple of minutes until three players fouled out during the final college basketball game at downtown Mellon Arena.
Bill Clark scored 23 points for the Dukes, who never trailed until Brad Wanamaker's basket for Pitt put the Panthers up 55-53 with 2:14 remaining in the first overtime.
The Dukes scored only seven points in the final 17 minutes.
- NCAA BB
DUQUESNE 58 FINAL IN 2ND OT
Dec 2 9:36 PM
- NCAA BB
DUQUESNE 53 END OF 2ND HALF GOING INTO OVERTIME
Dec 2 9:04 PM
- NCAA BB
DUQUESNE 33 0:00 LEFT, 1ST HALF
Dec 2 7:51 PM
- Stallings ready for new challenge at Pittsburgh Mar 28
- Pittsburgh hires Kevin Stallings to replace Jamie Dixon Mar 28
- Dixon's departure leaves Panthers at crossroads Mar 22
- New-look Badgers back in NCAA Tournament against Pittsburgh Mar 17
- Pitt hoping to play itself off the bubble at ACC tourney Mar 7
- Pitt senior guard Robinson hoping to end career on high note Feb 27
- Struggling Pittsburgh searching for consistency Feb 19
- Duquesne overcomes poor shooting to beat Robert Morris 72-65 Dec 19
- Young, Jeter lead Pitt past St. Joseph's (Ind), 84-43 Nov 17
- Buffalo rolls over Div. III Pitt-Bradford 109-49 Nov 14
- Pitt faces stiff test in opener against No. 9 Gonzaga Nov 12
- Pittsburgh Preview Capsule Oct 26