UAB defeats Middle Tennessee 65-64Dec 3, 2009 - 4:05 AM BIRMINGHAM, Ala.(AP) -- Howard Crawford scored 12 points and Alabama-Birmingham held off Middle Tennessee down the stretch for a 65-64 victory on Wednesday night.
The Blazers (7-1) won their sixth consecutive game by outscoring the Blue Raiders 6-5 in the last 34 seconds after the teams were tied at 59.
George Drake hit two free throws and Crawford scored on a layup for a 64-59 lead with 17 seconds left. Middle Tennessee's Theryn Hudson dunked to cut the lead to 64-61 before Aaron Johnson hit a foul shot for a 65-61 advantage with 10 seconds to play.
James Washington nailed a 3-pointer with 3 seconds left, ending the scoring.
UAB, which is off to its best start since the 1998-99 team was 7-1, was 12-for-21 (57.1 percent) in the second half.
Drake and Kenneth Cooper added 11 points each for the Blazers.
Montarrio Haddock led Middle Tennessee (3-4) with 17 points and Hudson had 12.
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 64
UAB 65 FINAL
Dec 2 10:00 PM
- NCAA BB
MIDDLE TENN 29
UAB 29 HALFTIME
Dec 2 8:51 PM
- UAB gives Robert Ehsan 5-year deal worth $450,000 annually Apr 20
- UAB elevates Rob Ehsan to become men's basketball coach Apr 4
- Middle Tennessee State sets sights on upset of Syracuse Mar 19
- Michigan State promises it won't overlook MTSU Mar 17
- Potts out indefinitely with concussion for Middle Tennessee Feb 26
- UAB, Haase agree to new 6-year contract Mar 25
- UCLA beats UAB to reach Sweet 16 Mar 21
- Spot in Sweet 16 awaits winner of UAB vs. UCLA Mar 21
- UAB topples Iowa State for first upset of tourney Mar 19
- Cyclones start tournament in showdown with Blazers Mar 19
- UAB buries Middle Tennessee to claim C-USA crown Mar 14
- Blue Raiders, Blazers collide in C-USA title match Mar 14