Mitchell, Saint Louis top Southern Illinois 71-61Dec 6, 2009 - 3:24 AM ST. LOUIS(AP) -- Kwamain Mitchell scored 22 points, including two 3-pointers during a key second-half run, to lead Saint Louis to a 71-61 victory over Southern Illinois on Saturday night.
Willie Reed added 16 points and 12 rebounds, and Christian Salecich scored 10 points for Saint Louis (5-3), which ended a three-game losing streak and improved to 5-0 at home.
Kevin Dillard had 23 points to lead Southern Illinois (3-2), which uncharacteristically struggled from 3-point distance. The Salukis, who came in shooting 40.4 percent from long range, went 4-for-23 from beyond the 3-point line, including 0-for-11 in the second half.
Saint Louis, which trailed 31-30 at the intermission, used a flurry of 3-pointers at the start of the second half to take the lead for good. The Billikens connected on four 3s during a 12-2 run, including two from Mitchell.
- Wichita State tops SIU in MVC QFs Mar 6
- Salukis seek upset of Shockers in MVC Tournament Mar 6
- Graham leads VCU's rout of Saint Louis Feb 18
- Wichita State cruises past Southern Illinois Feb 17
- Salukis face tall task in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Feb 17
- Saint Louis comes calling on No. 25 VCU Feb 17
- Northern Iowa stays hot with win over Southern Illinois Jan 28
- MVC melee pits Panthers against Salukis Jan 28
- No. 16 VCU holds off Saint Louis with last-second shot Jan 23
- Billikens battle 16th-ranked Rams in A-10 action Jan 23
- Carter scores 25 as Wichita State beats Southern Illinois Jan 14
- Salukis face uphill climb in clash with 13th-ranked Shockers Jan 14