Fordham beats Stony Brook 93-77Dec 9, 2009 - 3:03 AM NEW YORK(AP) -- Brenton Butler and Chris Gaston scored 25 points apiece for Fordham, which helped the youngest coach in Division I earn his first win with a 93-77 victory over Stony Brook on Tuesday night.
Jared Grasso, a 29-year-old assistant for the Rams (2-5) at the start of the season, was promoted to interim coach on Dec. 3 after Fordham fired Dereck Whittenburg. He lost his first game at the helm in Fordham's last outing on Dec. 5 - a 67-46 loss to Bowling Green.
Alberto Estwick added 16 points for the Rams and Lance Brown had 15. Gaston also grabbed 11 boards, notching his sixth double-double of the season.
Butler finished 6-for-11 from 3-point range for Fordham, which hit 13 of 25 shots from beyond the arc (52 percent).
Stony Brook connected on just 2 of 14 shots from long range (14.3 percent).
Muhammad El-Amin paced the Seawolves (6-3) with 16 points.
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 77
FORDHAM 93 FINAL
Dec 8 9:05 PM
- NCAA BB
STONY BROOK 38
FORDHAM 44 HALFTIME
Dec 8 7:51 PM
- Stony Brook hires Ohio State's Boals as basketball coach Apr 9
- Kentucky routs Stony Brook 85-57, gets Indiana next Mar 18
- No. 4 seed Kentucky opens NCAA Tournament vs. Stony Brook Mar 17
- At Stony Brook, team and fan help each other cope with loss Mar 16
- Stony Brook with 91-42 win over Div. III Farmingdale State Nov 28
- Balanced Fordham defeats Fairleigh Dickinson 85-62 Nov 21
- Fordham hires EKU's Neubauer as coach Mar 30
- Pecora fired at Fordham Mar 18
- Albany stuns Stony Brook to win third straight AEC crown Mar 14
- Stony Brook and Albany meet for AEC title Mar 14
- Stony Brook stuns No. 13 Washington Dec 28
- Seawolves head to land of Seahawks to test Huskies Dec 28