Rhode Island holds off Quinnipiac 83-74Dec 9, 2009 - 2:58 AM KINGSTON, R.I.(AP) -- Keith Cothran scored a season-high 21 points and Rhode Island defeated Quinnipiac 83-74 on Tuesday night.
Cothran helped the Rams (6-1) move to 4-0 at home this year by going 10-for-11 from the field to lead three players in double figures. He was especially effective in the first half, going 7-for-8 from the field as Rhode Island built a 38-32 halftime lead.
The Rams increased their advantage to 20 points on Stevie Mejia's free throws with 10:05 left in the game, but the Bobcats (4-4) went on a 12-0 run to cut the advantage to 67-59 on James Feldeine's layup with 5:45 remaining.
Feldeine scored six of his 28 points during the run, but Quinnipiac could get no closer.
Delroy James scored 19 points and Lamonte Ulmer finished with 12 points and seven rebounds for Rhode Island.
Justin Rutty led the Bobcats with 30 points and 15 rebounds. James Johnson added 12 points.
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 83 FINAL
Dec 8 8:59 PM
- NCAA BB
RHODE ISLAND 38 HALFTIME
Dec 8 7:56 PM
- Rhode Island guard E.C. Matthews out for season Nov 14
- Hurley has new deal at Rhode Island Apr 2
- No. 17 VCU rallies to down Rhode Island Jan 13
- VCU and Rhode Island lock horns in A-10 tussle Jan 13
- Kansas beats URI to move on in Orlando Nov 27
- Rams butt heads with Jayhawks in Orlando Classic Nov 27
- Rhode Island upsets No. 21 Nebraska in OT Nov 23
- Rams butt heads with 21st-ranked Cornhuskers Nov 22
- Iona-Quinnipiac hoops game postponed Jan 2
- Johnson paces Arizona past overmatched Rhode Island Nov 20
- Rams set to butt heads with fifth-ranked Wildcats Nov 19
- Clarke pushes Butler past Rhode Island Feb 2