McCamey's 23 lead Illinois past Vanderbilt 79-68Dec 9, 2009 - 3:59 AM CHAMPAIGN, Ill.(AP) -- Demetri McCamey scored 23 points and had five assists to lead Illinois past Vanderbilt 79-68 on Tuesday night.
McCamey buried a pair of free throws with less than a minute left that finished the Commodores. But his 8-for-10 shooting fired the Illini offense much of the night. He's averaging 12.6 points and 5.6 assists a game this season for Illinois (7-2).
The Illini rode the outside shot of 7-1 center Mike Tisdale and the passing and shooting of McCamey to a game-opening 9-0 lead and a 46-36 edge at halftime that the Commodores couldn't overcome.
Vanderbilt (6-2) was led by 12 points each from Brad Tinsley and Jeffery Taylor. Illinois limited Taylor, who is averaging 15.4 points a game, to just two in the first half.
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS 79 FINAL
Dec 8 10:31 PM
- NCAA BB
ILLINOIS 46 HALFTIME
Dec 8 9:22 PM
- Illinois' Tate rejoins basketball team after case dropped May 20
- Prosecutor: Case against Illinois' Jaylon Tate dropped May 19
- Brown gets new job at Illinois; Nunn pleads in battery case May 18
- Illinois' Nunn pleads guilty to misdemeanor, gets probation May 18
- Groce: Illinois' Black reinstated, will sit out 6 games May 6
- 9 years after Chief's end, Illinois looks for mascot May 2
- New Vanderbilt coach Bryce Drew announces his staff Apr 26
- Illinois' Leron Black gets probation for threatening bouncer Apr 21
- Vanderbilt junior center Damian Jones entering NBA Draft Apr 14
- Bryce Drew wants to be 1st to take Vanderbilt to Final 4 Apr 6
- Vandy sophomore guard Wade Baldwin IV entering NBA draft Apr 5
- Deal would reduce charge, let Illinois' Black avoid jail Apr 4