Miss St. routs UCLA 72-54 in Wooden ClassicDec 12, 2009 - 11:47 PM By GREG BEACHAM AP Sports Writer
ANAHEIM, Calif.(AP) -- Ravern Johnson scored a career-high 29 points, Jarvis Varnado blocked seven shots and Mississippi State rolled to a 72-54 victory over UCLA in the Wooden Classic on Saturday.
Varnado also had 13 points and 11 rebounds as the Bulldogs (7-2) won their fourth straight, taking a 21-point lead at halftime and cruising to Mississippi State's first-ever victory over UCLA.
Michael Roll scored 17 points and Malcolm Lee had 16 for the Bruins (2-6), who lost their fifth straight in discouraging fashion.
After hanging with top-ranked Kansas last weekend, UCLA shot poorly and couldn't stay close to the Bulldogs during the second game of a doubleheader honoring John Wooden, the 99-year-old former Bruins coach.
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 72
UCLA 54 FINAL
Dec 12 6:33 PM
- NCAA BB
MISSISSIPPI ST 40
UCLA 19 HALFTIME
Dec 12 5:25 PM
- Michigan-UCLA basketball to play home-and-home series May 13
- Mississippi St G Newman opts for NBA draft, won't hire agent Mar 22
- UCLA guard Bryce Alford recovering from hit to jaw Mar 6
- Weatherspoon leading Mississippi State's resurgence Feb 23
- Mississippi State still trying to turn corner under Howland Jan 15
- Mississippi State suspends F Demetrius Houston indefinitely Nov 17
- Mississippi St Preview Capsule Oct 29
- Mississippi State pins turnaround hopes on Newman, Howland Oct 29
- UCLA has deep, balanced team in Steve Alford's 3rd season Oct 28
- UCLA Preview Capsule Oct 28
- UCLA freshman Looney declares for NBA Draft Apr 6
- Gonzaga advances after pulling away from UCLA Mar 28