Monmouth (N.J.) defeats Penn 80-75Dec 13, 2009 - 3:00 AM WEST LONG BRANCH, N.J.(AP) -- Travis Taylor scored 28 points and Monmouth (N.J.) earned an 80-75 victory over Penn on Saturday night.
Taylor shot 12-for-14 for the Hawks (3-7), who snapped a four-game losing streak. Whitney Coleman contributed 20 points and eight assists.
A jumper by Taylor early in the second half gave the Hawks a 58-48 lead with 13:35 remaining, but Penn went on an 11-2 run to cut the lead to 60-59 with 10:53 left.
The Quakers (0-7) would later tie the score at 73 with two free throws from Zach Rosen with 2:13 left on the clock. But Penn was unable to take the lead, as they Quakers were outscored 7-2 in the final 2 minutes.
Rosen led Penn with 23 points. He shot 7-for-12 from the field, and nailed five 3-pointers. Mike Howlett chipped in with 16 points and 10 rebounds.
Monmouth shot 52 percent from the field (26-for-50).
- Monmouth basketball coach King Rice has new 5-year contract Feb 26
- Born with broken ankle, Monmouth guard beating doubters Feb 18
- GIF away, Monmouth! NCAA not stopping bench celebrations Dec 9
- Surprising Monmouth basketball winning and having fun Dec 3
- Penn holds on to beat Robert Morris 76-75 Nov 13
- Donahue tries to revitalize career, sagging program at Penn Nov 12
- Penn names Steve Donahue men's hoops coach Mar 16
- Penn coach Allen resigns Mar 9
- No. 5 Villanova pulls away to beat Penn Jan 17
- Penn faces tall task in clash with No. 5 Villanova Jan 17
- Villanova pulls away from Penn in Big-5 clash Dec 5
- Red-hot Villanova hosts local rival Penn Dec 4