Southern Miss pulls away from South Alabama 66-54Dec 13, 2009 - 4:29 AM MOBILE, Ala.(AP) -- Gary Flowers scored 14 of his 18 points in the second half to help Southern Mississippi pull away from South Alabama 66-54 on Saturday night, snapping the Jaguars' four-game winning streak.
Flowers also had 11 rebounds for the Golden Eagles (6-1), who were coming off their first loss of the season, 81-79 at Mississippi.
Southern Miss used a 15-0 spurt in the first half to make up a seven-point deficit, taking a 31-29 lead into halftime.
The Jaguars (7-3), who shot only 24 percent (6-for-25) in the second half, pulled within 41-39 on a Bryan Sherrer 3-pointer with 14:06 left. Angelo Johnson responded with a 3-pointer to start a 15-6 run by the Golden Eagles, and South Alabama got no closer than nine the rest of the way.
Johnson added 16 points for Southern Miss, Buchi Awaji had 13 and Josimar Ayarza grabbed 10 rebounds.
Allyn Cooks led the Jaguars with 13 points.
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 66
SOUTH ALABAMA 54 FINAL
Dec 12 10:26 PM
- NCAA BB
SOUTHERN MISS 31
SOUTH ALABAMA 29 HALFTIME
Dec 12 9:18 PM
- Former So. Miss coach Tyndall hit with 10-year show cause Apr 8
- Southern Miss self-imposes postseason ban Jan 20
- No. 17 Miami returns home to beat South Alabama Nov 28
- Miami tries to avoid upset in clash with South Alabama Nov 28
- NCAA reviewing Southern Miss men's hoops Nov 6
- Southern Miss names Sadler men's hoops coach May 1
- Gonzaga defeats South Alabama Dec 15
- South Alabama hits road to challenge No. 20 Gonzaga Dec 14
- No. 9 Louisville stifles Southern Miss en route to win Nov 29
- Cardinals set sights on red-hot Golden Eagles Nov 29
- South Alabama names Graves new basketball coach Mar 25
- Memphis outlasts Southern Miss for 3rd straight C-USA crown Mar 16