Fridette leads BYU past Fresno State 72-67Dec 13, 2009 - 5:22 AM FRESNO, Calif.(AP) -- Jimmer Fredette had 24 points and seven assists as Brigham Young pulled away in the second half to defeat Fresno State 72-67 on Saturday night.
Tyler Haws added 17 points for BYU (8-1), which won its third straight nonconference game.
Greg Smith had 21 points and eight rebounds for Fresno State (4-5), including a 3-pointer with 5:12 left that brought the Bulldogs within eight points.
BYU didn't allow Fresno State to get any closer until the final seconds. The Cougars finished 10 of 27 from 3-point range.
Fredette and Jonathan Tavernari sparked a 14-2 Cougars run midway through the second half that turned a slim lead into a 58-41 cushion.
- NCAA BB
FRESNO ST 67 FINAL
Dec 13 12:11 AM
- NCAA BB
FRESNO ST 29 HALFTIME
Dec 12 11:03 PM
- Throwback centers featured in Denver's Midwest Regional Mar 16
- BYU freshman phenom Emery having record-setting season Feb 26
- BYU escapes with 69-67 win over San Diego Feb 19
- Utah coach says 'toxic' atmosphere halted BYU series Jan 11
- Utah cancels basketball game against BYU next season Jan 6
- BYU guard Nick Emery suspended 1 game for punching opponent Dec 3
- BYU's Kyle Collinsworth relishes Mr. Triple-Double title Dec 3
- No. 17 Oklahoma women rebound to defeat BYU 73-47 Nov 19
- Ole Miss surges back to beat BYU in Dayton Mar 18
- BYU and Ole Miss meet in NCAA Tournament's first round Mar 17
- No. 7 Gonzaga beats BYU to win 14th WCC title Mar 11
- Bulldogs and Cougars collide in WCC title game Mar 10