Portland State hits 17 3s in 93-81 victoryDec 14, 2009 - 12:23 AM MALIBU, Calif.(AP) -- Phil Nelson led a barrage from beyond the arc with career highs of 28 points and eight 3-pointers as Portland State defeated Pepperdine 93-81 Sunday.
The Vikings (5-4) made 17 3s, one shy of the school record, and connected on 51.5 percent of their attempts.
Pepperdine (3-8) had five players score in double-figures, led by Keion Bell and Lorne Jackson, who had 16 apiece.
Melvin Jones made five 3s for Portland State and finished with 17 points.
The Vikings were up 67-62 with less than nine minutes to play but went on a 12-0 run to put the game away.
Nelson hit four 3s in the first nine minutes of the game as Portland State jumped out to a 27-15 lead. The Vikings led 43-38 at halftime, but Pepperdine quickly tied it by scoring the first five points of the second half.
- NCAA BB
PORTLAND ST 93
PEPPERDINE 81 FINAL
Dec 13 6:44 PM
- NCAA BB
PORTLAND ST 43
PEPPERDINE 38 HALFTIME
Dec 13 5:48 PM
- Pepperdine extends Wilson Jun 5
- Gonzaga beats Pepperdine to reach WCC final Mar 10
- Bulldogs battle Waves in WCC semifinals Mar 9
- Gonzaga slips past Pepperdine in 2nd half Feb 14
- Waves hope to come crashing down on third-ranked Bulldogs Feb 14
- No. 3 Gonzaga edges Pepperdine Jan 16
- Waves hope to wash away third-ranked Bulldogs Jan 15
- Pangos helps No. 6 Gonzaga pound Pepperdine Feb 8
- Waves hope to crash down on sixth-ranked Zags Feb 7
- Gonzaga rolls past Pepperdine Jan 3
- No. 10 Bulldogs open league play against Waves Jan 3
- Oklahoma State handles Portland State Nov 25