Winthrop rallies past S.C.-Upstate 62-53Dec 17, 2009 - 3:36 AM SPARTANBURG, S.C.(AP) -- Reggie Middleton scored 14 points and Winthrop won its third straight game, 62-53 over South Carolina-Upstate on Wednesday night.
Mantoris Robinson added 13 points, and Andy Buechert had 10 points and eight rebounds for the Eagles (5-4), who beat S.C.-Upstate for the second time this season. It was the first road win of the season for the Eagles in four tries.
Winthrop led 25-20 at halftime but the Spartans (1-8) rallied for a 45-40 lead with 5:48 to play. Winthrop bounced back and closed the game on a 23-8 run, fueled by making 12 of 15 free throw attempts. Robinson made 10 of 12 from the foul line in the game.
Nick Schneiders led the Spartans with 16 points, eight rebounds and six blocks. Josh Chavis, who had a career-high 34 points and 10 3-pointers in the Spartans' last game against Florida Gulf Coast, was held to 11 points. He made only 1 of 6 attempts from 3-point range.
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 53 FINAL
Dec 16 8:57 PM
- NCAA BB
USC UPSTATE 20 HALFTIME
Dec 16 7:44 PM
- Northern Iowa's winning culture leads to NCAA bid Mar 11
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South title Mar 8
- Ospreys and Spartans collide in A-Sun title bout Mar 8
- Winthrop meets Coastal Carolina for Big South crown Mar 8
- Strong second half lifts Maryland over USC Upstate Dec 13
- 19th-ranked Terps tangle with Spartans Dec 13
- Terps pull away to beat Winthrop Dec 6
- 21st-ranked Terps tangle with Eagles Dec 6
- Coastal Carolina tops Winthrop for Big South crown Mar 9
- Winthrop challenges Chanticleers for Big South title Mar 9
- No. 14 VCU pulls away from Winthrop Nov 16
- Winthrop hits road to challenge No. 14 VCU Nov 16