Delaware defeats Vermont 56-50Dec 20, 2009 - 8:40 PM BURLINGTON, Vt.(AP) -- Jawan Carter scored 26 points to lead Delaware to a 56-50 victory over Vermont on Sunday.
Carter shot 7-for-16 from the field and was a perfect 8-for-8 from the free throw line for the Blue Hens (3-7). Kelvin McNeil added 13 points and 13 rebounds in the win.
Trailing 39-34 midway through the second half, the Blue Hens put together a 12-3 run, and a 3-pointer from D.J. Boney gave Delaware a 46-42 lead with 5:07 remaining. The Blue Hens never trailed again, as the Catamounts shot only 2-for-7 in the final 5 minutes.
Evan Fjeld led Vermont (6-5) with 14 points and seven rebounds, while Marqus Blakely chipped in with 11 points and nine rebounds. With the loss, the Catamounts had their five-game winning streak snapped.
Vermont was outrebounded by Delaware 46-35. The Catamounts also suffered from poor free throw shooting, shooting only 59.1 percent from the line (13-for-22).
- NCAA BB
VERMONT 50 FINAL
Dec 20 3:14 PM
- NCAA BB
VERMONT 25 HALFTIME
Dec 20 1:54 PM
- Delaware fires men's basketball coach Monte Ross Mar 18
- Vermont basketball player suspended for reselling textbooks Dec 24
- Late free throw helps Delaware top Fairleigh Dickinson 73-72 Nov 24
- Villanova routs Delaware Nov 30
- Undefeated Wildcats entertain hapless Blue Hens Nov 30
- Delaware's Threatt kicked off team Jun 10
- Payne stars as Michigan State dumps Delaware in NCAA opener Mar 20
- Spartans begin tournament against Blue Hens Mar 20
- Delaware edges William & Mary for CAA title Mar 11
- Tribe and Hens square off in CAA title tilt Mar 10
- Delaware basketball suspends three Jan 29
- Ross, No. 3 Ohio State top Delaware Dec 19